In Larchwood we got to stay with Grandma D. She is amazing!! She always has just the right treats for us when we come, notice the goey bars... those were totally gone after 3 days!! She is such a strong woman and has taught me a lot! She taught me how to play Canasta and I am positive I've gotten some of my creativity from her! My mom always says it skipped her and went to me.

As soon as we go to Grandma's she said that my Uncle Dave was coming over and he was going to teach us how to can pickles!! So exciting!! He brought everything we needed and it was so much fun learning, I now have so many plans for my garden next year.


She also pulls out recipes I never would have thought of trying. She said that her mother use to make this when she was kid. It was very good and hearty! I am going to try to make it for the boys some time.

When we got ask her the questions I found out a couple of more details about our family. My grandfather was drafted and served in Germany before they got married. They were married for almost 10 years when he passed away. He had several heart attacks before he died at 32. My grandmother found out she was pregnant with my Uncle Jeff a month after grandpa pasted away, and the doctor called him a miracle baby.
I have always known that my grandfather died young, but I guess it really hit me, 32, I'm 33. One of the first questions my uncle Dave will ask you is if you've had your cholesterol checked. He suffers from major heart issues and had his first heart attack when I was younger. To be honest I have never had mine checked. It is now at the top of my list.
I also asked my grandmother what her favorite thing to do as a child was and she mentioned a pony. A Shetland pony, and her father got a cart for her! When the pony got tired of them riding her she would go through the barn door and knock the person off her back!
I have always known that my grandfather died young, but I guess it really hit me, 32, I'm 33. One of the first questions my uncle Dave will ask you is if you've had your cholesterol checked. He suffers from major heart issues and had his first heart attack when I was younger. To be honest I have never had mine checked. It is now at the top of my list.
I also asked my grandmother what her favorite thing to do as a child was and she mentioned a pony. A Shetland pony, and her father got a cart for her! When the pony got tired of them riding her she would go through the barn door and knock the person off her back!

We went to Hills and had lunch with my favorite Great Aunt Judy, Grandma's sister, and Uncle Dave.
We also got to go to the new Casino. It was built just out of Larchwood and it is very nice! Kim and I had lots of fun playing the slots and Kim won big!! I think it is fun to say that Grandma took us to the casino, so much fun!! We also got to play cards with a couple of her friends and stayed up too late!
One of my most favorite days though was going into Sioux Falls and going to the Athena Fibers Yarn Store. This store was heaven!! A Victorian house with the whole down stairs stocked with yarn... 5 ROOMS PEOPLE!! It was overwhelming and wonderful!! I'm not sure how long we were in there but I can tell you that I touched so much softness and visited each room at least 3 times!!



I warned them... :o) My aunt Sandra and cousin Suzanne met us in Sioux Falls. It was so great seeing them!!

Kim and I had so much fun! I can't wait to come back with Crystal, but I am totally waiting until all the snow from winter and spring is gone! I cannot deny that I have become an Arkansas Girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment