It's time for honestly, we get the Sunday paper and I only look at the Living section. And the only reason I look at that section is because the sales for Hobby Lobby are listed! But this Sunday my favorite section had a question on the cover "How green will you go?" I just wanted to share it with you... Steven thinks I am an Emerald Green. See what you are, can you make a few changes to become a darker green?
Mint Green:
(effort isn't your bag, but you're still reading)
turn off lights when leaving a room (Steven is always doing that, it frustrates me!)
turn off the water while shaving, brushing teeth
replace regular light bulbs with compact fluorescent ones (They use less energy too, save on your electric bill! also you won't have to worry about the first one so much!)
Choose reusable over disposable; for bottle water, washable mugs for coffee at work or Starbucks (10 cents discount at Starbucks if you do!) (( quit buying bottled water, we use a Brita pitcher now)
use rechargeable batteries
adjust washing machine setting to appropriate load size. (saves money too! I'm all about saving money!)
Emerald Green:
(you want to do good without getting hassled by your dad for being a 'tree-hugger')
take your own reusable bags to the grocery store (I only have 3 but I take my old bags back and put them in the recycling area, most stores have that)
defrost frozen foods overnight in the fridge instead of under running water
eat less meat to reduce methane emissions and conserve water and grain used for processing and feed (Ok, we will probably not do that, we are meat eaters!!)
switch to LED Christmas lights
wash clothes in cold water
use razors and toothbrushes with replaceable blades/heads instead of disposable
use cloth napkins and towels instead of disposable
insulate your home and water heater (Duh!)
Forest Green
(you're 10 seconds away from moving into a yurt)
(Steven says: If you're wondering what a yurt is, click here)
grow a vegetable garden (I really want to do that this year, it will be pretty small though, our yard is not big, maybe I could do it in the front!)
compost biodegradable organic material such as leaves, wood chips and egg shells (too close to neighbors!)
collect rainwater for use in the garden
dry your clothes on a line or folding drying rack
buy clothing made from organic cotton, help, flax or bamboo
ride bike to work
become the guru of green; educate yourself and others on how to be responsible stewards of the planet. ;o)
No comments:
Post a Comment